HMS Immortalité (1859)
HMS Immortalité (1859)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameImmortalité (1859)Explanation
Launched25 October 1859 Converted to screwon the stocks
HullWooden Length251 feet
PropulsionScrew Men580
Builders measure3058 tons   
Displacement3058 tons   
Fate1883 Last in commission1877
ClassImmortalité Class (as screw)Emerald
Ships book   
25 October 1859Launched at Pembroke Dockyard.
16 November 1860
- 15 July 1864
Commanded (from commissioning at Portsmouth until paying off at Portsmouth) by Captain George Hancock, Mediterranean and (August 1861) North America and West Indies
1 December 1870
- 30 October 1871
Commanded (from commissioning at Portsmouth) by Captain Francis William Sullivan, 1871 detached squadron
30 October 1871
- 12 October 1872
Commanded by Captain William Graham, 1872 detached squadron
13 October 1872
- 1874
Commanded (from commissioning at Portsmouth) by Captain Algernon McLennan Lyons, 1873 detached squadron
- 21 May 1877
Commanded (until paying off at Portsmouth) by Captain Francis Alexander Hume, 1873 detached squadron
14 July 1875
- 14 September 1875
Commanded by Acting Captain Gerard Henry Uctred Noel, 1873 detached squadron
1883Sold for breaking up
Extracts from the Times newspaper
Tu 11 September 1860The following vessels comprise the four classes of the steam reserve at Portsmouth, the list corrected to this date :-
First Class.- Duke of Wellington, 131 guns, 700 horsepower; Princess Royal, 91 guns, 400 horse-power; Shannon, 51 guns, 600 horse-power ; Immortalité, 51 guns, 600 horse-power; Volcano, 6 guns, 140 horse-power; Philomel, 6 guns, 80 horse-power; and gunboats Brazen, Beaver, Snapper, Traveller, Grinder, and Blazer, of two guns each, and 60 horse-power.
Second Class.- Royal Sovereign, 131 guns, 800 horse-power; Victoria, 121 guns, 1,000 horse-power; Prince of Wales, 131 guns, 800 horse-power ; Duncan, 101 guns, 800 horse-power; Nelson, 91 guns, 500 horse-power; the Sutlej, 51 guns, 500 horse-power ; the Harrier, 17 guns, 100 horse-power; the Rinaldo, 17 guns, 200 horse-power; the Medea, 6 guns, 350 horse-power; the Stromboli, 6 guns, 280 horse-power; the Coquette, 6 guns, 200 horse-power; and the gunboats Cracker, Fancy, Swinger, Pincher, and Badger, of 60 horse-power each, and 2 guns.
Third Class.- The Tribune, 31 guns, 300 horse-power; the Rosamond, 6 guns, 280-horse power; the Vigilant, 4 guns, 200 horse-power; the Vulture, 6 guns, 470 horse-power; the Cygnet, 5 guns, 80 horse-power; and the gunboats Cheerful, Rambler, Pet, Daisy, Angler, Chub, Ant, Pert, and Decoy, of two guns each and 21 horse-power.
4th Class.- The screw transport Fox, 200 horse-power; the Erebus, 16 guns, 200 horse-power; the Meteor, 14 guns, 150 horse-power; and the Glatton, 14 guns, 150 horse-power.

The foregoing - not including the gunboats and mortar vessels in Haslar-yard - consist of seven line-of-battle ships, four frigates, two corvettes, nine sloops, three floating batteries, 20 gunboats, and one troop steamer. They give a total force of 1,150 guns, propelled by 11,420 horse-power (nominal). The Fox steam troopship is given in this return as not carrying any guns, but in the official Navy List she still carried "42" attached to her name.

We 9 January 1861The Edgar, 91, screw, Capt. James Katon, flagship of Rear-Admiral J.E. Erskine, left Portsmouth harbour yesterday morning, and took up a berth to the eastward of the ships at Spithead. The ships now anchored at Spithead, in addition to the Edgar, comprise the Algiers, 91, screw, Capt. G.D. O'Callaghan; the Trafalgar, 91, screw, Capt. Fanshawe; the Immortalité, 51, screw, Capt. G. Hancock; the Diadem, 32, screw, Capt. G. Cockburn; the Cossack, 20, screw, Capt. R. Moorman; the Desperate, 7, screw, Commander Ross; and the Triton, 3, paddle, Lieut-Commander R. Burton; the whole representing a force of 477 guns, and 4,410-horse power, nominal.
The screw steamship Centurion, 80, Capt. H.D. Rogers, C.B., which left Lisbon on the 30th of December, arrived in Plymouth Sound yesterday morning. She started from the Tagus under steam, with a southerly wind, which continued until the 4th inst., when she was taken aback with east and south-east winds. On Sunday it changed to southwest, and so continued until 8.30 a.m. on Monday, when baffling winds were experienced, and at 2 30 p.m. steam was got up and continued until she reached the Sound. The weather was moderate and fine all the passage home. The Centurion brings only 10 invalids, who were taken from Lisbon hospital, where they were left by the Channel Fleet; she was ordered to go up Hamoaze yesterday afternoon to make good defects; her crew will be paid down and granted leave of absence. The screw steamship St. Jean d'Acre, 101, Capt. the Hon. C. Elliott, which arrived December 29, was left in the Tagus. The Centurion spoke January 4, at 4 p.m. the ship Phoenix, homeward bound.
Ma 14 January 1861Rear-Admiral J.E. Erskine's division of the Channel fleet, consisting of the Edgar, 91, screw, Capt. James Katon; Algiers, 91, screw, Capt. G.D. O'Callaghan; Trafalgar, 90, screw, Capt. E.G. Fanshawe; and the Diadem, 32, screw, Capt. E.G. Fanshawe [should be J.H. Cockburn], left Spithead at 2.30 p.m. on Saturday, under steam, and, passing out by the Bembridge lightvessel, proceeded down Channel, their ultimate destination, being stated to be Lisbon.
The Immortalité, 51, screw, Capt G. Hancock, and the Desperate, 7, screw, Commander Ross, remain at Spithead.
The St. George, 90, screw, Capt. the Hon. F. Egerton, left Spithead at 10 a.m. yesterday for Plymouth, where his Royal Highness Prince Alfred will embark prior to the ship sailing for North, America and the West Indies. Prior to the ship leaving Spithead Col. the Hon. H. Byng embarked onboard, and proceeded round to Plymouth in her.
Fr 18 January 1861The Princess Royal, 91, screw, in the first-class steam reserve at Portsmouth, will be commissioned at that port for the flag of Rear-Admiral of the White Robert Smart, K.H., as Commander-in-Chief of the Channel fleet. The date of Rear-Admiral Smart's seniority is the 9th of July, 1857. Rear-Admiral John E. Erskine, the second in command of the Channel fleet, dates on the 4th of November of the same year.
The Immortalité 61, screw, Capt. G. Hancock, at Spithead, will proceed from Spithead to join the division of the Channel fleet at Lisbon.
Sa 1 March 1862According to the Bermuda Royal Gazette, there were at the island, on the 4th of February, the screw steamship Nile, 90, Capt. Barnard, flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K.C.B. ; the Hero, 89, Capt. Ryder; the Agamemnon, 89, Capt. Hope; the Aboukir, 86, Capt. Shadwell, C.B. ; the Immortalité, 57, Capt. Hancock; the Diadem, 32, Capt Randolph; the Rinaldo, 17, Commander Hewett; the Terror, 16, Capt. Hutton; the Spiteful, 6, Commander Wilson; the Landrail, 5, Commander Martin; the Nimble, 6, Lieut. D'Arcy; and the gunboats Nettle and Onyx. The Immortalité, from Annapolis, Chesapeake Bay, arrived on the 30th of January, and the Diadem and Landrail from the West Indies on the 1st of February. The last two brought the remainder of the crew of the wrecked ship Conqueror, 90, the bowsprit only of which, is now above water. All the ship's company are berthed on board the hulk Medway, where they will remain until the court-martial, which was appointed to be held on board the Hero on the 6th of February. The crew may arrive in England in March.
Sa 29 March 1862The screw steam frigate Diadem, 32, Capt. Scott, which left Bermuda March 11, arrived in Plymouth Sound on Friday morning. On the 12th of March, in lat. 33 2 N., long. 61 51 W., she took on board the crew of the American brig C.W. Conner, Capt. Joseph Urann, which was bound with a cargo of sundries from Boston for St. Jago. The brig was dismasted on tho 6th of March, and the crew for the previous five days had been living on biscuit only. Moderate weather was experienced during all the passage, excepting on the 21st, when, in lat. 42 45 N., long. 32 29 W., they had a gale of wind from the westward. The Diadem brings home 250 officers and men, the remaining portion of the crew of the Conqueror, lost on Rum Bay Island, in the West Indies, and about 130 invalids, supernumeraries, and passengers, including lieutenant Taylor, 39th Regiment, and Mr. Tucker, late Colonial Aide-de-Camp to the Governor of Bermuda, who is the bearer of the contributions from the island to the Great Exhibition. Mr. Vivian, carpenter of the Terror, died on the 23d, and Peter Kenney, private of Royal Marines, a lunatic, jumped overboard oa the 21st during the gale, and was drowned. The Diadem left at Bermuda the screw steamship Nile, 90, Capt. Edward K. Barnard, flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Alexander Milne, K.C.B.; the screw steamships Aboukir, 86, Capt. Charles F. Shadwell, C.B.; Hero, 89, Capt. Alfred P. Ryder; and Agamemnon, 89; the screw steam frigates Immortalité, 51, Orlando, 50, and Liffey, 51; the screw steam sloop Greyhound, 17; paddlewheel steam sloops Spiteful, 6, and Medea, 6 ; the screw steam sloop Racer, 11; the screw steam gun-vessels Nimble, 5, and Landrail, 5 ; and the floating battery Terror, 16. The screw steamship Adelaide, with troops, arrived at Bermuda March 10. Her fuel was nearly expended.
Th 1 May 1862From private letters received by our Chatham correspondent from the screw frigate Immortalit?, 51, Capt. G. Hancock, we learn that that vessel arrived at St. John's, Antigua, from St. Thomas's, on the 3d ult., and having relieved the Cadmus, 21, screw steamer, Capt. H.S. Hillyar, C.B., left on the 11th of April for Barbadoes. At the latter date the Cadmus was still lying at Antigua, waiting the decision of the Admiralty Court respecting the prize brig Lama. As soon as the finding of the Court was announced the Cadmus would leave for Bermuda. The island was exceedingly healthy, and all the crew, as well as the officers, were well.
Th 16 June 1864The Immortalité, 35, screw frigate, Captain George Hancock, was paid out of commission at Portsmouth yesterday, under the superintendence of Captain H. Caldwell, C.B., commanding the steam reserve at that port. George Hassall, boatswain's mate, received a gratuity of 10l. and a silver medal for long service, and a pension of 22 10l. William Smith, boatswain's mate, received a gratuity of 15 10l. and a silver medal, and a pension of 36 10l. The Immortalité was commissioned at Portsmouth on the 16th of November, 1860, and sailed from Spithead on the 7th of February, 1861, for the Mediterranean. After serving at the island of Majorca, as escort to the Empress of Austria, the Immortalité left Palma for Gibraltar and England on the 6th of May, 1861, and arrived at Plymouth on the 29th. On the 10th of August, 1861, she sailed from Plymouth for Halifax, Nova Scotia, to join the British squadron under Admiral Milne on the North American and West India station. There she remained until ordered to England to pay out of commission on the 15th of June, 1864, when she sailed from Bermuda, arriving at Spithead on the 2d of July. During the time the Immortalité was attached to the North American and West India station she performed very important duties. Among these may be noticed her despatch to Annapolis by the British Admiral, on the arrest [this was the so-called "Trent Affair"] by Commodore [Charles] Wilkes [U.S.N. in command of the sloop-of-war, San Jacinto] of Messrs. [John] Slidell and [James M] Mason [two Confederate diplomatic agents], to communicate with Lord Lyons [the British minister in Washington], and her subsequent cruise and convoy of British shipping off the island of Bermuda. On the ship receiving orders at Portsmouth to pay out of commission, a few days after her arrival in England from the West Indies, it was stated that her crew called for and gave "three cheers for the captain." We understand this is not literally correct, as such a public expression of feeling on the part of the crew of one of Her Majesty's ships would be contrary to Admiralty regulations, and further, that whatever expression of feeling was exhibited by the crew on their receiving the news that the ship was to be paid out of commission in lieu of being refitted to join the Channel fleet, which had been her first orders, was manifested in the absence of Captain Hancock.
Sa 12 November 1864The following is the list of the vessels of the Royal navy which will be armed, and are now being armed, with the new description of 300-pounder and other guns in course of issue. The figures after each vessel specify the number of guns of the description mentioned she will carry. To mount the 12-ton 300-pounders:- Bellerophon, 10; Royal Sovereign, 5; Minotaur, 4; Scorpion, 4; Wiveren, 4; Prince Albert, 4; Agincourt, 4; and Northumberland, 4. To be armed with the 6½-ton guns:- The Achilles, 20; Black Prince, 20; Warrior, 20; Lord Warden, 20; Lord Clyde, 20; Royal Oak, 20; Prince Consort, 20; Royal Alfred, 20; Caledonia, 20; Ocean, 20; Minotaur, 18 ; Agincourt, 18; Valiant, 16; Zealous, 16; Hector, 16; Defence, 10; Resistance, 10; Endymion, 6; Mersey, 4; Orlando, 4, Pallas, 4; Favourite, 4; Research, 4; Enterprise, 4; Amazon, 2; Viper, 2; and Vixen, 2. To mount the 64-pounder muzzle-loader:- The Bristol, 12; Melpomene, 12; Liverpool, 12; Severn, 12; Arethusa, 12; Phoebe, 12;. Shannon, 12; Octavia, 12; Constance, 12; Sutlej, 12; Undaunted, 12; Impérieuse, 12; Aurora, 12; Leander, 12; Bacchante, 12; Emerald, 12; Phaeton, 12: Narcissus, 12; Forte, 12; Euryalus, 12; Topaz, 12; Newcastle, 12; Liffey, 12; Immortalité, 12; Glasgow, 12; Clio, 8, North Star, 8 [laid down 1860, cancelled 1865]; Racoon, 8; Challenge[r], 8; and Menai, 8 [laid down 1860, cancelled 1864]. The following will be supplied with the 64-pounder breech-loaders:- The Scout, 8; Rattlesnake, 8; Cadmus, 8; Scylla, 8; Barossa, 8; Jason, 8; Charybdis, 8; Wolverine, 8; Pylades, 8; Orestes, 8; Pearl, 8; Pelorus, 8; Satellite, 8; Acheron, 4 [laid down 1861, cancelled 1863]; Shearwater, 4; Valorous, 4; Furious, 4; Bittern, 4 [laid down 1861, cancelled 1863]; Magicienne, 4; and Columbine, 4. A supply of the 6½-ton smooth-bore 100-pounder wrought iron guns has already been received at Chatham, and it is understood that the first supply of the 300-pounder rifled 12-ton Armstrong gun may shortly be expected at the Ordnance wharf.
Th 5 January 1871The Flying Squadron, comprising the screw frigates Narcissus, 28, Capt. W. Codrington, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour, C. B., Admiral in command of the squadron, and the Immortalité, 28, Capt. F.W. Sullivan, C.B.; and the screw corvettes Cadmus, 17, Capt. W.H. Whyte, and Volage, 8, Capt. M. Seymour, sailed from Plymouth Sound yesterday for Lisbon, Madeira, Barbadoes, and several other of the British West India Islands, including Jamaica, whence the squadron, probably calling at Havannah, will proceed to Bermuda, where the Pylades, 17, screw corvette, Capt. C.W.V. Buckley, V.C., is expected to join. The cruise will occupy four or five months, but a great deal of latitude is allowed to Admiral Seymour, both as to ports of call and the duration of the visit. The Commander-in-Chief at Devonport, Admiral Sir Henry Codrington, K.C.B., accompanied by Rear-Admiral W. Houston Stewart, C.B., went out in the steam tender Princess Alice to view the departure of the squadron, which left Plymouth with a fine easterly breeze.
Ma 20 March 1871Our latest advices from Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour's flying squadron are up to the 27th of February. The ships were then at Barbadoes, and would leave for Tobago, Trinidad, and other islands on the 4th of March, winding up with a somewhat lengthened visit to Jamaica. The squadron was in excellent order in reference to discipline and general efficiency. The officers and men were well, contented, and happy, and the cruise promises to be productive of much benefit to the service. The Volage is said to be the smartest ship, but then she has been longest in commission, and she is spoken of as being one of the greatest successes achieved by Mr. Reed; but her armament is regarded as being too small. The Immortalité has proved herself the fastest ship under sail. Steam is only resorted to when absolutely necessary, and, therefore, although agreeing very much with what that thorough good seaman of the old school, Admiral Rous, said in The Times of Thursday, we do not think there is much chance of the rising generation of our sailors turning out "tea-kettle" men.- Army and Navy Gazette.
Ma 1 May 1871The following is a brief account of the proceedings of Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour's Flying Squadron since the last communication from the ships. Our letters are dated the 9th inst. [i.e. 9th April] from Jamaica : -"We remained a fortnight at Barbados, during which time the Governor and the town gave two balls in our honour, both being most successful. At Trinidad we stayed ten days, and from there have visited the islands of Grenada, St. Vincent, and St. Lucia, leaving the latter on the 30th, and arriving here yesterday. From St. Vincent to St. Lucia the squadron had a trial of rate of sailing. Getting all into one line when we had got an offing of the former island, the Admiral made the signal, 'Race to Castries, St. Lucia.' which was a dead heat [sic: should presumably be "dead beat"]. We started at 6 p.m. on the 27th and arrived in the following order on the 28th :- Volage, 12 50 p.m.; Narcissus, 2 50 p.m.; Pylades, 5 35 p.m.; Immortalité, 7 50 p.m.; Cadmus, 10 p.m. So the Volage has proved herself the best ship in sailing to windward, for she also beat the fleet in a two hours' trial we had between Grenada and St. Vincent. We met the Eclipse at St. Vincent on the 25th taking the Governor of Barbadoes round the islands. She was to return from there. The ships in port here are Myrmidon, Sphinx, Lapwing, and Britomart. We remain till the 20th, leaving for Havannah and Bermuda."- Army and Navy Gazette.
Ma 26 June 1871A Press despatch of the 1st of June from Halifax, Nova Scotia, is to the following effect:- "The remaining vessels of the Flying Squadron - Narcissus, Immortalité and Pylades - arrived to-day from Bermuda [I assume this means that Cadmus, Volage and Inconstant had already arrived]. The squadron will remain until the 17th, and then leave for a three year cruise to the West Indies, South America, China, Australia, and home. The squadron is commanded by Rear-Admiral Seymour. There are now eight warships and gunboats at this station".
Ma 14 August 1871The Helicon, paddle despatch vessel, Commander H.E. Crozier, from Vigo on the 6th inst., arrival in Plymouth Sound on Saturday morning, with letters, despatches, and a few supernumeraries. On leaving Vigo she proceeded to the rendezvous off Ushant, which she reached at 7 p.m. on the 8th inst., the Reserve Squadron arriving there at 1.45 p.m. on the 9th, the Prince Consort at 10.5 p.m. on the 10th, and the Mediterranean and Flying Squadron at noon on the 11th; and the Helicon left at 10.20 the same night for Plymouth. The combined squadrons, consisting of 23 ships, under the supreme command of Vice-Admiral Sir Hasting R Yelverton, C.B., were to cruise between 20 miles off Ushant and Ireland until the 14th inst.; the rendezvous after that would be 20 miles south of Cape Clear until the 21st or 22d inst. The fleet includes the following ships:- First, the combined Mediterranean and Channel squadrons, comprising the Lord Warden (flagship of Vice-Admiral Yelverton), Prince Consort, Monarch, Hercules, Northumberland, Defence, Caledonia, and Warrior; letters for these ships should be sent to Queenstown before the 17th or 18th inst. Second, the Detached Squadron, consisting of the Narcissus (flagship of Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour, C.B.), Cadmus, Topaze, Immortalité, Volage, and Inconstant; letters for these ships should be sent to Portland before the 15th or 16th inst. Third, the Reserve Squadron, under Commodore G.O. Willes, C.B., including the Achilles, Black Prince, Resistance, Invincible, Repulse, Hector, Valiant, Vanguard, and Penelope; letters for these ships should be sent to Queenstown before the 17th or l8th inst.
We 4 October 1871On Monday five vessels of the Flying Squadron proceeded up the Firth of Forth and anchored at St. Margaret's Hope. The squadron left Bergen on Thursday. The vessels in the Firth of Forth are the following:- The Narcissus, 35, steam frigate (bearing the flag of Admiral Seymour, C.B.), Capt. William Codrington; the Immortalité, 28, steam frigate, Capt. F.W. Sullivan; the Inconstant, 16, steam frigate, Capt. C. Waddilove; the Volage, 8, steam iron corvette, Capt. M. Culme-Seymour; and the Cadmus, 16, steam corvette, Capt. W.H. Whyte.
Tu 10 October 1871The Narcissus, Inconstant, Immortalité, Cadmus and Volage, belonging to the Flying Squadron left St Margarets Hope, Firth of Forth, on Saturday for Plymouth. The vessels were expected at Yarmouth and Sheerness on their way.
Th 12 October 1871The detached squadron of unarmoured screw frigates under the command of Rear-Admiral F. Beauchamp B. Seymour, C.B., comprising the Narcissus, 28 guns, 2,665 tons, 400-horse power, Capt. W. Codrington, carrying the flag of the Admiral commanding; the Immortalité, 28 guns, 3,959 tons, 600-horse power, Capt. Francis W. Sullivan C.B,; the Inconstant, 16 guns, 4,066 tons, 1,000-horse power, Capt. Charles Waddilove; the Volage, 8 guns, 2,322 tons, 600-horse power, Capt. Michael Culme Seymour; and the Cadmus, 17 guns, 1,466 tons, 400-horse power, Capt. W.H. Whyte, anchored at Spithead yesterday morning, as briefly reported in our Second Edition of yesterday, on the return from the last portion of the cruise of the squadron in the North Sea, and await orders. The squadron left Queensferry, on the coast of Scotland, about 2 p.m. on Saturday, and carried fair winds nearly all the distance round to Spithead. The cruise of the squadron has been in all respects a pre-eminently satisfactory one. A very gratifying feature in connexion with the cruise is that not one case of desertion has occurred throughout the squadron.
Sa 21 October 1871The three frigates - Inconstant, Immortalité, and Volage, now at Portsmouth, and forming part of the unarmoured detached squadron under the flag of Rear-Admiral F. Beauchamp Seymour, C.B., are being calked and refitted for further service, the crews having leave granted them in alternate watches. The Inconstant lies in No. 11 dock, and the Volage was yesterday taken into the Warrior dock. The Immortalité, carrying Admiral Seymour's flag, is refitting alongside the jetties of the dockyard.
Fr 10 November 1871The Immortalité and the Volage frigates, belonging to the detached squadron, have come out of harbour to Spithead, after completing their repairs and refit for the next voyage of the squadron. The Inconstant's repairs are not yet completed, and she remains for the present in the hands of the dockyard authorities.
Ma 20 November 1871The unarmoured screw frigates Inconstant, Immortalité, and Volage, belonging to Rear-Admiral F. Beauchamp Seymours detached squadron, sailed from Spithead on Saturday for the rendezvous of the squadron in Portland Roads. The captains of the three frigates, Waddilove, Grahame, and Culme-Seymour, have been acting as members of the Megaera Court-Martial, held on board Her Majesty's ship Duke of Wellington, in Portsmouth, and, in consequence, the sailing of the frigates from Portsmouth for the rendezvous of the squadron was delayed until after the Court had concluded its sittings.
Ma 19 February 1872Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour, C.B., arrived at Rio Janeiro January 8 with his flying squadron, consisting of the Narcissus, Inconstant, Immortalité, Topaze, Cadmus, and Volage. The Immortalité was detached on January 11 to look for the ship White Rose off Cape Frio; she returned on January 13. Admiral Seymour intended to leave with his squadron on January 18 for the Cape and Bombay. There is a report, however, that the Foreign Office has expressed a desire that the ships should return to Europe earlier than was originally intended.- Army and Navy Gazette.
Fr 22 March 1872Advices from the Cape of Good Hope, by the mail steamer Syria, report the arrival at Simon's Bay on the 14th of February of the Detached Squadron, under command of Rear-Admiral Seymour, C.B., from Rio Janeiro, which port was left on the 18th of January. The vessels comprising the squadron were the Narcissus (flag), Captain Codrington; the Topaze, Capt. Oldfield; the Immortalité, Capt. Graham; the Inconstant, Capt. Waddilove; the Cadmus, Capt. Whyte, and the Volage, Capt. C. Seymour. The squadron left Portland on November 19, 1871, and reached Vigo on the 24th of that month. Here the squadron was put in quarantine in consequence of two cases of smallpox having occurred on board the flagship. Through this quarantine the Narcissus left Vigo on November 27 for Lisbon, the squadron remaining behind with the Inconstant in command. The Narcissus returned on the same day, not being able to steam against the head wind prevailing, and on the 29th the fleet sailed for Lisbon. The flagship parted company the same day, steaming ahead, and arrived at Lisbon on the 2d of December - the fleet on the 3d. At Lisbon the Narcissus sent the cases to hospital, and the whole fleet received pratique. The Squadron remained at Lisbon till December 7, at which date it took its departure and made an excellent passage to Madeira, which was reached at 9 a.m. on Sunday, the 10th. It left this island on the following day. At Rio the weather was intensely hot, and the port was left on the 18th of January. The squadron arrived eventually at Simon's Bay on the 14th of February. During the cruise there were, of course, manoeuvres, gun exercise, and other drills, which kept all hands hard at work. Cape Town had been visited by a large number of the sailors of the fleet, and their conduct had been most exemplary. The Inconstant was sent round to Table Bay as a guardship, arriving there on the l6th ult., and it was considered probable that some of the other ships would visit the port before proceeding to Bombay.
Sa 28 September 1872The Detached Squadron, comprising the following ships, arrived off the Eddystone, under canvas, yesterday morning, and parted company, the two first-named ships making for Plymouth Sound, where they anchored at 9.30 a.m., and exchanged salutes with the Royal Adelaide, flagship of the Commander-in-Chief at Devonport. The other three ships proceeded up Channel for Portsmouth. The screw frigates Narcissus, 28, Capt. W. Codrington, flagship of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell; the Topaze, 31, Capt. R.B. Oldfield; the Immortalité, 28, Capt. W. Graham; the Inconstant, 16, Capt. C. Waddilove, and the screw corvette Volage, 8, Capt. M. C. Seymour. The squadron, under command of Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour, C.B., left Portland on Nov. 19, 1871, and arrived at and sailed from the following ports on the dates specified:- Vigo, Nov. 24, 29; Lisbon, Dec. 2, 7; Madeira, 10, 11; Rio Janeiro, Jan. 8, 18, 1872; Cape of Good Hope, Feb. 14, 27; Bombay, April 22 and May 6; Mauritius, June 5, 20; Cape of Good Hope, July 7, 27; St. Helena, Aug. 8, 13; Ascension, Aug. 17, 20; the Azores, Sept. 13, 16. The total distance traversed by the ships is 29,414 miles, accomplished almost entirely under sail. The general health of the crews has been good. The cruise from the Cape to Bombay was very tedious, owing to the prevalence of light winds and calms the whole way. The squadron steamed from the equator to Bombay, the ships towing each other alternately, the Inconstant and Volage doing most of the work. Steam was used for one day in crossing the equator, going out and coming home, and advantage was taken of it to exercise the squadron in steam tactics. The route of the squadron was to go round India, but on arrival at Bombay the ships were ordered home round the Cape, Rear-Admiral Seymour giving up command at Bombay to go to Aden, en route for England, on his appointment as a Lord of the Admiralty. The command of the squadron then devolved on Capt. Waddilove, of the Inconstant, who took charge, as senior officer, until arrival at the Cape, where Rear-Admiral Campbell joined, and the ships met the Russian squadron with the Grand Duke Alexis, who gave an entertainment on board his ship, the Svetland, and the Flying Squadron gave a ball at Simon's Bay.
Ma 30 September 1872The eastern division of the Detached Squadron, consisting of the unarmoured screw frigates Immortalité, Capt. W. Graham; the Inconstant, Capt C. Waddilove; and the Volage, Capt. M. C. Seymour, arrived and anchored at Spithead on Saturday morning.
The Narcissus, 28, Capt. W. Codrington, bearing the flag of Rear Admiral F.A. Cambell and the Topaze, 31, Capt. R.B. Oldfield, moved from Plymouth Sound into the harbour at Devonport on Saturday, preparatory to being paid off, all standing, and recommissioned.
We 2 October 1872The unarmoured screw frigates Volage and Immortalité went into Portsmouth harbour from Spithead yesterday, to be paid out of commission, and afterwards refitted for another term of service.
Th 3 October 1872The Immortalité, unarmoured screw frigate, Capt. W. Graham, steamed into Portsmouth Harbour yesterday morning from Spithead, after inspection by Admiral Sir G. Rodney Mundy, K.C.B., Port Admiral and Naval Commander-in-Chief at Portsmouth. The Immortalité, with the Inconstant and Volage, which went into Portsmouth Harbour on Tuesday, will be paid out of commission at the end of next week, and afterwards be surveyed and refitted for a cruize as part of a detached squadron, presumably again under the command of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell.
Tu 15 October 1872The unarmoured screw frigate, Immortalité, 28 guns, 3,084 tons displacement, 2,391 indicated horse-power, was commissioned at Portsmouth yesterday by Capt. Lyons for service with the detached squadron now being formed at Portsmouth and Devonport for another cruise, under Rear Admiral Campbell's command.
Capt. W.H. Edye is appointed to the command of the Doris frigate, which is to be commissioned at Devonport tomorrow with a complement of 490 officers and men for particular service, presumably to join the detached squadron. The frigates Narcissus and Topaze of that squadron, now in dock at Devonport, are ordered to be ready by the 2d of November.
Ma 2 December 1872The unarmoured frigate Immortalité, Capt. W. Graham, refitting at Portsmouth as one of the detached squadron of 1872-3, was taken out of the steam basin of Portsmouth, dockyard on Friday and berthed alongside one of the steam jetties to complete her preparations for going out to Spithead. She will be inspected by Admiral Sir G. Rodney Mundy, K.C.B., Port Admiral and Naval Commander-in-Chief at Portsmouth, to-morrow, preparatory to sailing for the rendezvous of the squadron.
Fr 6 December 1872The unarmoured screw frigate Immortalité, Capt. A.M. Lyons, went out of Portsmouth harbour on Wednesday morning to Spithead, preparatory to sailing for the rendezvous of the detached squadron in Portland roads. The frigate ran out of harbour to Spithead under topsails, topgallant sails, and royals - an unusual spectacle.
Ma 9 December 1872The unarmoured screw frigate Immortalité, Capt. Lyons, left Spithead on Saturday under sail, for the rendezvous of the Detached Squadron, in Portland Roads.
Tu 10 December 1872Her Majesty's frigate, Immortalité, 28, Capt. Algernon M'L. Lyon, arrived in Portland harbour on Sunday morning. The Narcissus, 28, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Frederick Cambell, and the Topaze, 31, Capt. Hardinge, are also expected.
Fr 20 December 1872Shortly before 12 o'clock on Wednesday morning the Flying Squadron, which for the past fortnight have been rendezvousing inside Portland breakwater, left for a short cruise. The vessels consisted of the Narcissus, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Frederick Campbell, the Immortalité, the Doris, the Topaze, the Valorous, and the Aurora. They proceeded under steam to the westward. It is expected the fleet will return either on Sunday or Monday.
Sa 21 December 1872The detached squadron, comprising the following ships, put into Plymouth Sound yesterday for shelter from the southerly gale blowing in the Channel :- The wood-built unarmoured screw frigates Narcissus, 28, Capt. J.O. Hopkins, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell, commanding-in-chief the squadron; the Aurora, 23, Capt. Sholto Douglas; the Immortalité, 23, Capt. W. Graham; the Doris, 24, Capt. W.H. Edye, and the Topaze, 31, Capt. E. Hardinge; the Narcissus has started her cutwater and the Aurora her bowsprit, which, with other defects, will necessitate their going into the harbour at Devonport to repair.
Tu 24 December 1872The screw frigates Topaze, 31, Capt. Hardinge, and Doris, 24, Capt. W.H. Edye, proceeded from Plymouth Sound to the westward yesterday morning, to relieve homeward bound vessels.
The screw frigate Aurora, 28, Capt. Sholto Douglas, moved from the Sound into the harbour at Devonport yesterday, to have defects remedied; the two other ships of the detached squadron, the Narcissus, flagship of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell, and the Immortalité, remain in Plymouth Sound.
Tu 24 December 1872


Sir,- Allow me to correct the paragraph concerning the movements of the "Detached Squadron" under the command of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell, which appeared in The Times of the 20th inst. - viz., "the vessels consisted of the Narcissus, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral F. Campbell; the Immortalité, the Doris, the Topaze, the Valorous, and the Aurora. They proceeded under steam to the westward."
The squadron, which consisted only of the Narcissus (flag), the Immortalité, the Topaze, the Aurora, and the Doris, left Portland Roads at noon on Wednesday, the 18th. inst., under sail alone, proceeded to the westward, and put into Plymouth Sound at noon to-day through stress of weather, no steam having been used by any of the squadron during the cruise.
I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,
Tu 31 December 1872The screw frigates Topaze, 31, Capt. E. Harding and Doris, 24, Capt. W.H. Edye, returned to Plymouth Sound yesterday morning from cruising off Cape Clear. They experienced very bad weather, but met with no merchant ships requiring assistance.
The Immortalité, 28, screw frigate, left Plymouth Sound last evening for Portsmouth, to be docked, as she is said to be leaky.
We 1 January 1873The Immortalité, 28, screw frigate, Capt. A. Lyons, instead of proceeding from Plymouth to Portsmouth direct, was ordered by telegram from the Admiralty on Monday evening to steam to the westward in search of the waterlogged and derelict ship reported by the Hamburg-American steamship Westphalia to have been passed 44 miles westward of Scilly on the previous day.
Tu 7 January 1873The unarmoured, wood-built screw frigate Immortalité arrived and anchored at Spithead yesterday afternoon from the westward. She is ordered into Portsmouth harbour to go into dock.
Th 9 January 1873The unarmoured woodbuilt screw frigate Immortalité, one of the vessels forming the detached squadron under Rear-Admiral Campbell's command, went into Portsmouth harbour yesterday from Spithead for the purpose of being docked for an examination of her hull below the water line, to discover the locality of a leak and repair the defect.
We 12 February 1873The Immortalité, 23, screw frigate, Capt. A. McL. Lyons, will call at Plymouth on her way to rejoin the detached squadron about Sunday or Monday next, and will take any letters for the ships which may be sent to the Naval Commander-in-Chiefs office at Devonport.
We 26 February 1873Private letters received at Woolwich from Vigo report the arrival at that port of the Flying Squadron, under the command of Rear-Admiral F.A. Campbell, consisting of the Narcissus, 28, flagship, Capt. J.O. Hopkins; the Aurora, 23, Capt. S. Douglas ; the Doris, 24, Capt. W.H. Edye; the Endymion, 22, Capt. E. Maddon; the Topaze, 31, Capt. E. Hardinge. The passage from Plymouth was very boisterous, the whole of the ships of the squadron having encountered tremendous weather in the Bay of Biscay, the hurricane lasting from the forenoon of the 18th to the 27th ult. The Aurora, the Narcissus, and the Topaze each lost a man overboard, The Aurora was battened down for three days, leaking much from her continued labouring, and the Topaze encountered such a succession of tremendous seas as rendered it doubtful whether she would be able to recover herself. The whole of the vessels sailed for Barbadoes on the 6th inst, where they will be joined by the Immortalité, 28, Capt A.M'L. Lyons.
We 18 February 1874

6 February 1874

The Immortalité, Capt. M'Lyon, came in at Valetta from the coast of Spain, and the Topaze is momentarily expected
Fr 15 May 1874

30 April 1874

The Flying Squadron, consisting of the Narcissus, 28 (bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral G.G. Randolph, C.B.), Capt. S. Adeane: the Doris, 24, Capt. W.H. Edye; the Endymion, 22, Capt. E. Madden; the Immortalité, 28, Capt. Mac L. Lyons; and the Topaze, 28, Capt. E. Hardinge, returned from their cruize in the Levant on the 30th ult., and took up their moorings in the Grand Harbour, Valetta, in fine style, at half-past 4 p.m., entering port under sail with a strong breeze from the eastward. The three first-mentioned vessels came direct from Rhodes, after a passage of ten days, and the two latter from Suda Bay (Island of Crete) in six days. The squadron, except the Doris, will leave on Thursday, 7 May, for Palermo, Cagliari, Port Mahon, Gibraltar, and England. The Doris will follow about Monday, 11 May, after having a new bowsprit fitted.
Th 15 October 1874An intimation arrived at Chatham Dockyard yesterday of what will be the movements of the detached squadron, which will be under the command of Rear-Admiral Randolph, and will consist of the following ships:- The Narcissus, the Immortalité, the Topaze, the Newcastle, the Raleigh, and the Doris. The ships are ordered to assemble at Gibraltar on the 25th of October, excepting the Doris, which is to join the squadron at Madeira. The whole will leave Madeira on the 20th of November, and arrive at St. Vincent on the 29th of November; leave St. Vincent on the 3d of December, and arrive at Montevideo on the 2d of January, 1875; leave Montevideo on the 20th of January, and arrive at the Falkland Islands on the 30th of January; leave the Falkland Islands on the 13th of February, and arrive at the Cape of Good Hope on the 9th of March. The squadron will leave the Cape of Good Hope on the 30th of March, and arrive at St. Helena on the 11th of April; leave St. Helena on the 17th of April, and arrive at Ascension on the 22d of April, leaving Ascension on the 26th of April, and returning to Gibraltar on the 3d of June.
Ma 2 November 1874

26 October 1874

The detached squadron, under the command of Rear-Admiral Randolph, C.B., consisting of the Narcissus, Immortalité and Raleigh, arrived at Gibraltar - Army and Navy Gazette
Th 26 November 1874The following particulars in reference to the cruise of the Detached Squadron under the command of Rear-Admiral G.G. Randolph have just been published. The vessels composing the squadron are the screw frigate Narcissus, 28, Capt. N. Bowden-Smith, the flagship; the screw frigate Doris, 24, Capt. The Hon. G.R. Fremantle, C.B.; the screw frigate Immortalité, 28, Capt, F.A. Hume; the Newcastle, 28, screw frigate. Capt, R.G. Douglas; the iron screw frigate Raleigh, 22, Capt. George Tryon, C.B.; and the screw frigate Topaze, 28, Capt. Arthur T. Thrupp. The squadron first visited Madeira, where they remained until the 21st ult., proceeding thence to St. Vincent, where they were timed to arrive on the 29th inst. They will remain there until the 3d of December, when they will proceed to Montevideo, which they will reach about the 2d of January, 1875. After remaining there until the 20th of that month, the squadron will go to the Falkland Islands, where they will arrive in ten days. They will stay there about 13 days, when they will leave for the Cape of Good Hope, where they are expected to arrive about the 9th of March. The squadron will leave the Cape on the 30th of March for St. Helena, which port they will make on the 11th of April. They will remain there till the 17th, thence proceeding to Ascension, where they are to arrive on the 23d of April. They will leave for Gibraltar on the 26th of April, reaching the Rock on the 3d of June next, and leaving again for England after a short stay. Letters to meet the squadron at the various places of call should be posted in time to leave London by the following mails:- For Montevideo, December 1 and 15; Falkland Islands, December 19; Cape of Good Hope; January 25, February 5 and 15; St. Helena, March 15; and Gibraltar, May 26.
Tu 7 December 1875The Flying Squadron, consisting of the Narcissus (flagship), Immortalité, Raleigh, Doris, and Newcastle, is expected to remain on the East India station until March next, and will accompany the Prince of Wales in his Indian sea tour to Colombo, Trincomalee, Madras, and Calcutta. During the whole of this period the Squadron will remain temporarily under the command of Vice-Admiral Macdonald, the Commander-in-Chief of the East India station. It is three years since the Flying Squadron visited India.
Tu 8 February 1876The following vessels of the Detached Squadron will leave Bombay in a few days for Hongkong, calling at Singapore for orders :- The Narcissus, the Immortalité, the Newcastle, and the Topaze.
Tu 15 February 1876

14 February 1876

Detached Squadron.- Narcissus, Flag of Rear-Admiral Lambert, Immortalité, Topaze, and Newcastle will sail forenoon of the 14th inst. from Bombay for Singapore.
Tu 23 May 1876

7 April 1876

The Detached Squadron (Narcissus, Newcastle, Topaze, and Immortalité) arrived at Hongkong on the 7th of April from Singapore. Rear-Admiral Lambert landed on Saturday at the Murray Pier, where a guard of honour, with the band of the 28th Regiment, was stationed to receive him. The Royal Artillery fired a salute of 11 guns on his leaving his flagship.
Fr 14 April 1876

9 April 1876

Detached Squadron at Hongkong.- Narcissus, Immortalité, Newcastle, Topaze, arrived at Hongkong.
Tu 3 October 1876

12 August 1876

Her Majesty's ship Topaze left Wosung this morning for the North with stores for the Detached Squadron, under the command of Rear-Admiral Lambert, consisting of Her Majesty's ship Narcissus (flag), Newcastle, and Immortalité, at this date about 140 miles from Chefoo, where they proceeded from Nagasaki on the 2d August. The unsettled state of affairs in China has prolonged the stay of the Detached Squadron, and it is not expected they will move south before the end of September or beginning of October. The Audacious, flagship of Vice-Admiral Ryder, Commander-in-Chief of the China Station, it at Chefoo. The despatch boat Vigilant, with Sir Thomas Wade, the British Minister at Pekin, and Vice-Admiral Ryder, left here on the 8th for Chefoo, where it is expected there will be an interview with Li Hung Ching, Commander-in-Chief of the Pechili Provinces. The Thistle is at Ohefoo, and the Mosquito has left here for Chefoo to act as despatch vessel between the Commander-in-Chief and the Detached Squadron. The Charybdis is senior officer's ship here.
Ma 11 December 1876

31 October 1876

The Detached Squadron, under Rear-Admiral Lambert in the Narcissus, with the Immortalité, Topaze, and Newcastle, left Woosung, Shanghai today, for Hongkong on the way to England.
Tu 26 December 1876

16 November 1876

Our Hongkong Correspondent writes:- Her Majesty's ships of war in harbour are the Newcastle, Immortalité, Topaze, Fly, Growler, and Nassau. The Narcissus went round to Aberdeen on the 13th inst., and was successfully docked in the Hongkong and Whampoa Company's dock there on the afternoon of the 14th inst. The Topaze arrived from Nagasaki on the 13th inst. It is not probable the detached squadron will leave here before the first week in December.
Th 4 January 1877

30 November 1876

Our Hongkong correspondent writes: - The Detached Squadron, consisting of the Narcissus, Newcastle, Immortalité, and Topaze, are to leave here for Singapore on the 5th of December, there to await orders.
Fr 11 May 1877The Plymouth correspondent of the Press Association telegraphed last night the arrival in the Sound, to "await orders," of the Narcissus, the Immortalité, the Topaze, and the Newcastle, the four ships forming the Detached Squadron, under the command of Rear-Admiral Rowley Lambert, C.B.
We 23 May 1877The Immortalité, 28, Acting Capt. Noel, which, with the Newcastle, 31, Capt. Douglas, arrived at Portsmouth a few days ago on the termination of the cruise of the Detached Squadron, was paid off, all standing, on Monday morning.
The Immortalité was commissioned at Portsmouth on the 14th of October, 1872, by Capt. Algernon M'L. Lyons, and on the 8th of December arrived at Portland, the rendezvous of Admiral Campbell's squadron. A few days later, the squadron, which consisted of the Narcissus (flagship), Immortalité, Aurora, Endymion, and Doris, anchored at Plymouth. After a short stay, the Immortalité was despatched to the Irish Channel in search of a derelict, the Margaret Pollock, which Captain Lyons succeeded in finding. Owing, however, to a continuance of heavy gales, he was unable to keep in company with her, and as his ship had started a serious leak it was deemed advisable to return to port, and she accordingly put back to Portsmouth on the 6th of January, 1873. The necessary repairs took more than a month to complete. In the meantime Admiral Campbell left with the other ships of the squadron for Madeira and the West Indies, the Immortalité joining company with them at Barbadoes on the l1th of March. The squadron then proceeded to Trinidad, thence to Jamaica, touching at several ports in the Windward Islands and at St. Domingo, and onward to Halifax, where orders reached them to proceed to Gibraltar, which port they reached on August 8, 1873. The squadron was then employed for some months on the coast of Spain in consequence of certain difficulties arising out of the Civil War in that country, and more particularly on account of the Intransigentes, who, having possessed themselves of several Spanish men-of-war, were behaving in a somewhat novel and irregular manner. The squadron cruised about from port to port, sometimes singly and sometimes in company, the officers taking the opportunity offered by their stay at Malaga to visit Granada, Seville, and Cordova. On the 17th of November the Immortalité was detached on a cruise to the coast of Morocco, as the bearer of the usual congratulations to the new Emperor on his accession to the Throne; and having first called at Tangier to embark the Moorish Minister, Seyd Mahomed Bargash, family, and suite, she proceeded to Rabat, where the Emperor was residing with a large following of motley, but picturesque, troops. Capt. Lyons and some of his officers were presented to the Emperor. After this incident the squadron was ordered to Malta, and, after refitting, cruised on the station until June, when it returned to Gibraltar, having visited Corfu, Athens, Smyrna, Candia, Palermo, Sardinia, and other places. The Doris was then ordered to Halifax, but the remainder of the ships returned to England, where they were paid down and new captains and several officers appointed, Rear-Admiral Randolph being placed in command. On the 20th of September, l874, the squadron, which now consisted of the Narcissus, Immortalité, Topaze, Newcastle, Raleigh, and Doris, the Immortalité being commanded by Capt. Hume, again left England, and, after touching at various places, arrived at the Cape of Good Hope on the 3d of April, 1875, where they remained a mouth to refit. The vessels returned to Gibraltar by St. Helena, Ascension, and St. Vincent, and shortly afterwards received orders to repair to Bombay to await the arrival of his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales; Rear-Admiral Rowley Lambert, C.B., being at the same time appointed to the command. The squadron arrived at Bombay on the 6th of September, after a tedious passage of 91 days, and one week at the Cape, which was not more than sufficient for the performance of all necessary duties. Everybody in the squadron had opportunities of visiting famous places, seeing wonderful sights, and receiving Indian hospitality. After a considerable stay at Bombay the squadron visited Colombo, Trincomalee, and Calcutta, and then returned to Bombay. The orders were out, and the ships were to have sailed in a week for the Suez Canal, when, owing to Chinese troubles, a telegram arrived in time to arrest their return and to despatch four ships - the Narcissus, Immortalité, Topaze, and Newcastle - to Singapore and Hongkong, where they arrived on the 7th of April, 1876. The squadron remained in Chinese waters during the negotiations between the two Governments, and visited Shanghai, Amoy, Japan, Chefoo, and Talien. When at Chefoo Admiral Lambert hoisted his flag on board the Immortalité, and proceeded to the Taku Forts, at the mouth, of the Peiho River. Here the Commander-in-Chief, Admiral Ryder, and Staff, accompanied by Sir Thomas Wade and Admiral Lambert and Staff, proceeded up the river in the Vigilant and Mosquito to Tientsin, and thence to Pekin. Several officers of the Immortalité also visited Pekin and the great wall of China. Affairs having by this time been satisfactorily settled by diplomatic means, the squadron returned to Hongkong in November, 1876, and, having refitted, proceeded home, via the Mauritius, Cape of Good Hope, St. Helena, Ascension, and St. Vincent, arriving at Plymouth on the 11th inst.
In the first year of her commission the Immortalité sailed over 12,309 miles, and was 109 days at sea; in the second; 10,309 miles and 106 days; in the third, 32,423 miles and 228 days; in the fourth, 14,491 miles and 134 days; and in the fifth, 16,824 miles and 120 days. During the whole commission, therefore, she had sailed over 86,356 miles, and been 897 days at sea, and 975 days in harbour, including 175 days fitting out, docking for repairs on her return from the Irish Channel, paying down and fitting out the second time at Portsmouth. In the five years she was 111 times in port, and visited 76 different ports, of which 69 were foreign and colonial. The following are the names of the officers who have served in the Immortalité the whole of her commission, from October, 1872 :- Commander Alan B. Thomas, Lieut. of Marines T.K. Byam, Chaplain, the Rev. A. Nicholls, B.A.; Paymaster, W. Warburton; Sub-Lieuts. J. W. Litle and Montgomerie; Surgeons C.G. Wodsworth and I.H. Anderson; Engineer, G.F. Greaves; boatswain, John Mahoney; acting Sub-Lieut. Haswell, and Navigating Sub-Lieut. Scott. Fleet Surg. J.C. Ingles served from the 4th of February, 1873. The Immortalité will be paid off into the 4th Division of the Steam Reserve, and, as her hull is sadly out of repair, she will not probably be again called upon for service at sea.

Valid HTML 5.0