HMS Royal Adelaide (1828)
HMS Royal Adelaide (1828)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameRoyal Adelaide (1828)Explanation
TypeFirst rate   
Launched29 July 1828
Builders measure2446 tons
Displacement4122 tons
Ships book
NoteLaid down as London.
1860 d.s.
Snippets concerning this vessels career
5 September 1835
- 30 April 1836
Commanded by Captain Gordon Thomas Falcon, flagship of Admiral Sir William Hargood, Plymouth
(January 1840)Out of commission at Plymouth
1 April 1859
- July 1860
Commanded by Captain Woodford John Williams, guard ship of Ordinary, Plymouth (replacing Royal William)
July 1860
- 31 December 1861
Commanded by Captain William King Hall, steam reserve depot ship, Plymouth
1 January 1862
- 31 October 1863
Commanded by Captain Charles Vesey, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
5 November 1863
- 25 February 1864
Commanded by Captain Henry Caldwell, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
30 October 1866
- 1 November 1869
Commanded by Captain George William Preedy, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
1 November 1869Commanded by Captain Trevenen Penrose Coode, flagship of Admiral Henry John Codrington, Devonport
2 November 1872
- 1 November 1875
Commanded by Captain Algernon Charles Fieschi Heneage, flagship of Admiral Henry Keppel on the Devonport station
2 November 1875
- 1 November 1878
Commanded by Captain John Ommanney Hopkins, flagship of Admiral Thomas Matthew Charles Symonds on the Devonport station
1 November 1878
- 30 October 1879
Commanded by Captain William Henry Whyte, flagship of Admiral Arthur Farquhar, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
1 November 1878Commanded by Captain Frederic Proby Doughty, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
30 November 1880
- 31 December 1884
Commanded by Captain Richard Carter, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
29 December 1884
- 1 April 1885
Commanded by Captain William Elrington Gordon, flagship, Plymouth
30 March 1885
- 7 April 1887
Commanded by Captain William Henry Cuming, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
6 April 1887Commanded by Captain Harry Woodfall Brent, Devonport, flag-ship of the Port Admiral
Extracts from the Times newspaper
Tu 24 August 1869



Plymouth Sound was never before so well defended as it was this morning, when the sun, breaking through the mists which hung thickly over land and sea, shone down upon eleven magnificent ironclads anchored under the lee of the breakwater. The Monarch and Inconstant had joined during the night from Spithead, making the number of ships to sail this afternoon under the Admiralty ensign seven in all, and fortunately giving the fleet the company of our first and as yet untried seagoing turret-ship Monarch. The Black Prince entered the Sound yesterday afternoon from Bermuda, having left there on the 31st ult., and the Warrior anchored here last night from Spithead; neither of these vessels, however, will take part in the coming cruise. The Warrior would have joined had it been considered possible to get her ready in time on her arrival from Bermuda, but this anticipated cause of delay, although it has been got over, has now been supplemented by another in a change in her command, and our first and still handsome and formidable ironclad will not, therefore, join in the cruise. This is to be regretted, as it leaves a gap in this division of the combined fleet at sea previous to joining the Mediterranean division. With the Warrior in company, two lines or divisions equal in numbers could have been formed, but under the present conditions one division must necessarily be of four and the other of three ships.
Vice-Admiral Sir T.M.C. Symonds, K.C.B., commanding the Channel Fleet, hoisted his flag at 8 o'clock this morning on board his flagship, the Minotaur, Captain James G. Goodenough, on his return from short leave.
An official notice has been issued that letters from England will find the combined fleets at Gibraltar from the 1st to the 4th of September, both dates inclusive, and at Lisbon on the 13th.
The ships which sail to-day from England will arrive at Queenstown on the 27th of September.
The arrangements for the ships of the Channel Squadron to weigh this afternoon and proceed outside to wait for the Agincourt remain unaltered, and they are expected to leave the Sound about 5 p.m. Mr. Childers will arrive at Devonport from London by the 5 p.m. train, and go on board the Agincourt about 6 p.m., when she will immediately leave the Sound and join the other ships outside. By midnight the whole will be well off the land, and steering a course to clear Ushant, en route for Gibraltar.


PLYMOUTH, Monday Evening.

At noon to-day most of the ships in the Sound belonging to the Channel Squadron weighed one anchor, took in all boats, and got up steam.
At 4 30 p.m. the Minotaur started from the centre of the Squadron under steam only. Wind, S.S.W., light; weather, fine ; tide, first quarter's flood.
The Minotaur was followed by the Bellerophon and Hercules. The Northumberland, being the easternmost ship, had to wait until the others were clear, and left at 4 50 p.m.
The Inconstant started at 5 and the Monarch at 5 30 p.m.
Mr. Childers, the First Lord, who came down by the South Devon Railway, went on board the steam tender Princess Alice, at Millbay, at 6 p.m., under a salute of 19 guns from the flagship Royal Adelaide, Captain Preedy, in Hamoaze.
Within 15 minutes his Lordship left the tender, and proceeded in the Port Admiral's barge to the Agincourt, on board which lie was received with yards manned.
The Admiralty flag was then hoisted at her mainmast, and was saluted by the Plymouth Citadel and by the Monarch, which hove to off the Rame Head, outside the harbour.
At 6 30 p.m. the Agincourt returned the salutes, and at 7 followed the other ships for Gibraltar.
The Warrior and the Black Prince are the only ships of war now left in the Sound.

Valid HTML 5.0