HMS Scylla (1856)
HMS Scylla (1856)

Royal NavyVessels

Browse RN vessels: A; B; C; D; E - F; G - H; I - L; M; N - P; Q - R; S; T - U; V - Z; ??
NameScylla (1856)Explanation
Launched19 June 1856   
HullWooden Length200 feet
Builders measure1467 tons   
Displacement2189 tons   
Fate1882 Last in commission1873
Class  Class (as screw)Pearl
Ships book   
19 June 1856Launched at Sheerness Dockyard.
13 June 1859
- 3 January 1863
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain Rowley Lambert, Mediterranean
9 September 1863
- 24 September 1863
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness) by Captain Samuel Gurney Cresswell, Sheerness, until superseded because of illness
24 September 1863
- 7 August 1867
Commanded (until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain Richard William Courtenay, China
15 April 1869
- July 1871
Commanded (from commissioning at Sheerness) by Captain Frederick Anstruther Herbert, 1869 Flying squadron, then Pacific (relieving Charybdis at Esquimalt on 15 May 1850)
July 1871
- 15 April 1873
Commanded (until paying off at Sheerness) by Captain Charles Richard Fox Boxer, Pacific
Extracts from the Times newspaper
We 31 December 1856The following ships and vessels are now in port at Sheerness, in harbour, fitting-basin, and in docks, viz.:- The Edinburgh, 60 guns, Captain Edward P. Halsted; the Waterloo, 120 guns, Captain Lord Frederick Kerr, flagship; the Formidable, 84 guns, Captain-Superintendent John Jervis Tucker; the Royal George, 102 guns; the Terrible, 21 guns; the new screw steam corvette Scylla. 21 guns; the Argus, 6 guns; the Eurotas, 12 guns, screw mortar-ship; the Hydra, 6 guns; the Terror, 14 guns, floating battery; the Horatio, 12 guns; the Russell, 60 guns; the Hawke, 60 guns, Captain James Willcox, C.B., &c.; the Phoenix, 6 guns.; the Renard, 6 guns; the Foxhound, 6 guns; the Pylades, 21 guns; the Trusty, 14 guns, floating battery; the new screw steam frigate Emerald, 51 guns; the Hermes, 6 guns, Commander William E.A. Gordon; the Lizard steamvessel, Lieutenant-Commander Thomas B. Christopher; the Myrtle steamvessel, Master-Commander William S. Bourchier; the African steamvessel, Second Master-Commander R. Harvey; the Fearless steamvessel; the Wildfire steam tender to Waterloo, Master-Commander George Brockman; the Melampus, 42 guns, Captain L. Heath, C. B., &c. The gunboats Louisa, Magnet, Erne, Mayflower, Ruby, Sandfly, Carnation, Spanker, Pelter, Fly, Hasty, Cochin, Julia, Dwarf, Fidget, Griper, Mastiff, Mistletoe, Traveller, Spey, Surly, Herring, Sepoy, Bullfrog, Tickler, Manly, Thistle, and the new screw steam despatch gunboat Nimrod. The new ship Meeanee, 80 guns, is in No. 2 dry dock, being altered to receive screw steam machinery.
Th 7 November 1861The return of the Emerald, 51, to the Sound, after an ineffectual effort to reach Halifax, has created considerable interest among the naval community at Plymouth. It appears that the frigate, which left Spithead on the 5th of October, encountered on the 10th, 11th, 13th, and subsequently a succession of heavy gales from north-north-west to south-south-west, from the effects of which she was compelled on the 22d to put back, being then in lat. 48 N., and long. 37 W. During all this time there was excessive rolling, accelerated, it is said, by the weight of her armament. Although thoroughly caulked before departure, she leaked "like a sieve" after the first gale. Subsequently some of the beams and knees in the lower deck and the after sternpost were stared. The ship's pumps were broken, and the discharge pipe of the engines split, by which and other injuries they were several days in a disabled state, It is satisfactory to know that the crew continued well disciplined throughout the storm and its contingencies. The Emerald passed the Warrior and Revenge in the chops of the Channel on Monday night. Yesterday she got up steam, and, aided by the steamtugs Prospero and Zephyr, proceeded from the Sound into Hamoaze. It is conjectured that the Emerald will not now go to Halifax, but direct from Plymouth, to Vera Cruz.
Sa 12 November 1864The following is the list of the vessels of the Royal navy which will be armed, and are now being armed, with the new description of 300-pounder and other guns in course of issue. The figures after each vessel specify the number of guns of the description mentioned she will carry. To mount the 12-ton 300-pounders:- Bellerophon, 10; Royal Sovereign, 5; Minotaur, 4; Scorpion, 4; Wiveren, 4; Prince Albert, 4; Agincourt, 4; and Northumberland, 4. To be armed with the 6½-ton guns:- The Achilles, 20; Black Prince, 20; Warrior, 20; Lord Warden, 20; Lord Clyde, 20; Royal Oak, 20; Prince Consort, 20; Royal Alfred, 20; Caledonia, 20; Ocean, 20; Minotaur, 18 ; Agincourt, 18; Valiant, 16; Zealous, 16; Hector, 16; Defence, 10; Resistance, 10; Endymion, 6; Mersey, 4; Orlando, 4, Pallas, 4; Favourite, 4; Research, 4; Enterprise, 4; Amazon, 2; Viper, 2; and Vixen, 2. To mount the 64-pounder muzzle-loader:- The Bristol, 12; Melpomene, 12; Liverpool, 12; Severn, 12; Arethusa, 12; Phoebe, 12;. Shannon, 12; Octavia, 12; Constance, 12; Sutlej, 12; Undaunted, 12; Impérieuse, 12; Aurora, 12; Leander, 12; Bacchante, 12; Emerald, 12; Phaeton, 12: Narcissus, 12; Forte, 12; Euryalus, 12; Topaz, 12; Newcastle, 12; Liffey, 12; Immortalité, 12; Glasgow, 12; Clio, 8, North Star, 8 [laid down 1860, cancelled 1865]; Racoon, 8; Challenge[r], 8; and Menai, 8 [laid down 1860, cancelled 1864]. The following will be supplied with the 64-pounder breech-loaders:- The Scout, 8; Rattlesnake, 8; Cadmus, 8; Scylla, 8; Barossa, 8; Jason, 8; Charybdis, 8; Wolverine, 8; Pylades, 8; Orestes, 8; Pearl, 8; Pelorus, 8; Satellite, 8; Acheron, 4 [laid down 1861, cancelled 1863]; Shearwater, 4; Valorous, 4; Furious, 4; Bittern, 4 [laid down 1861, cancelled 1863]; Magicienne, 4; and Columbine, 4. A supply of the 6½-ton smooth-bore 100-pounder wrought iron guns has already been received at Chatham, and it is understood that the first supply of the 300-pounder rifled 12-ton Armstrong gun may shortly be expected at the Ordnance wharf.
Ma 17 May 1869Mr. Chiders, First Lord of the Admiralty, Vice-Admiral Sir Sidney Colpoys Dacres, K.C.B., and other gentlemen connected with the Admiralty, arrived at Portland by rail from London yesterday afternoon, and at once proceeded to the armour-plated ship Agincourt, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Astley Cooper Key, C.B. Their lordships were received with the customary salute, and on their arrival on board the Agincourt the Admiralty flag was hoisted at the main. The whole of the vessels composing the Naval Reserve Squadron, consisting of the Agincourt, 26; Black Prince, 41; Hector, 20; Valiant, 24; Duncan, 81; Trafalgar, 60; Royal George, 72; Donegal, 81; St. George, 72 ; Mersey, 36; Cadmus, 21; Scylla, 21; and the paddle-wheel despatch boat Helicon, put to sea this morning shortly after 5 o?clock. The wind at the time of their departure was blowing strongly from the eastward, but so great is the harbour accommodation that the ships had no difficulty whatever in taking up their assigned berths between the end of the great breakwater and the north shore. The iron-clad vessels formed the starboard division, and the wooden two-deckers, frigates, and corvettes the port division.
The spectacle presented on the squadron leaving the harbour was fine in the extreme, The atmosphere, unfortunately, became rather hazy shortly after they left, and the vessels were soon out of sight from the shore. The great capabilities of the harbour at Portland were, perhaps, never better exemplified than on this occasion, for, in addition to these large ships, forming the Reserve Squadron, there were upwards of 60 vessels belonging to the mercantile marine at anchor, yet there were ample space and shelter under cover of the breakwater to accommodate at least an equal number of vessels in addition.
(various)this gets replaced
We 16 April 1873Her Majesty's screw corvette Scylla, 16 guns, 400-horse power, Capt. Charles R.F. Boxer, which has recently returned from the Pacific Station, was paid out of commission yesterday (Tuesday) morning in the large basin in Sheerness Dockyard, and the officers and crew granted the usual leave of absence. The Scylla was commissioned at Sheerness on the 15th of April, 1869, by Capt. F.A. Herbert. In May she joined the Reserve Squadron, and on that squadron being broken up she proceeded to Plymouth to join the Flying Squadron, in command of Admiral Hornby, and left England with that squadron on. The 19th of June, 1869. After visiting Madeira, Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Cape of Good Hope, Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart Town, New Zealand, and Yokohama, the Scylla was dropped at Vancouver's Island, where she joined the Pacific Squadron and was stationed for 12 months as senior ship of the Northern Division, only leaving the island to pay a visit to the Sandwich lslands. In May, 1871, she took a tour of duty on the coast of Mexico, and arrived at Panama in July, where Capt. Herbert left to take command of the Cambridge, and was succeeded by Capt C.R.F. Boxer; she then proceeded to Valparaiso and was stationed as the ship of the senior officer of the Southern Division for several months, and visited Juan Fernandez, Talcahuano, Caronel, and Luco Bay. At the latter place the navigation officers made a new survey of the channel between Santa Maria Island and the mainland, for which they received the thanks of their lordships. In April, 1872, the Scylla was relieved by the Zealous, and proceeded again to the coast of Mexico, on whose inhospitable shores she remained about two mouths, and then proceeded to Panama, where, having been nearly three years and a half in commission, it was hoped the orders for home would have arrived. She was, however, ordered back to Vancouver's again, where, having embarked the paid-off crews of the Boxer and Sparrowhawk, she started again for Valparaiso. On her arrival at that place it was found that the Zealous was waiting for the convoy of the Scylla through the Straits. The two ships proceeded in company the next day through the intricate English Narrows, where the Zealous grounded for a short time, but fortunately a rising tide enabled her to float off with little damage, and both ships arrived safely at Sandy Point on the 27th of December. On the 30th the Scylla left for Falkland Islands, and arrived there on the 2d of January, but only remained four days, as she had again to meet the Zealous at a rendezvous in 45 20 S., 50 W. The Zealous joined, and the two ships proceeded together until separated by heavy winds and thick weather. A second rendezvous having been prearranged, the ships again met on the 27th of January. The Admiral, being now satisfied that the Zealous was quite seaworthy, allowed the Scylla to proceed to St. Helena alone, where she arrived on the 1st of February. The Scylla has been absent from England three years and nine months, during which time she has traversed a distance of 85,000 miles, 9,000 of which has been under steam, or steam and sail; the remainder under sail alone.

Valid HTML 5.0