► Royal Navy
The following books and articles have been useful in the construction of this site.
Naval, and naval political, history:
- Anon: "Instructions for the Guidance of Her Majesty's Naval Officers employed in the Suppression of the Slave Trade": T.R. Harrison, 1844, reissued on microfiche, Chadwyck-Healey Ltd, 1988. - 8 fiches.
- Beeler, John. F.: "British Naval Policy in the Gladstone-Disraeli Era, 1866-1880": Stanford University Press, Stanford, 1997.
- Bethell, Leslie: "The Mixed Commissions for the suppression of the transatlantic slave trade in the nineteenth century": Journal of African History, VII, no. 1, 1966, 79-93.
- Clowes, William Laird: "The Royal Navy; a history from the earliest times to the death of Queen Victoria": Sampson Low, Marston and Company, 1903 (also reprinted by Chatham Publishing, 1997 as "The Royal Navy; a history from the earliest times to 1900") in seven volumes, in particular volumes 6 and 7.
- Flemming, Fergus: "Barrow's Boys - a stirring story of daring, fortitude and outright lunacy": Granta Books, 1998.
- Harland, Kathleen: "The Royal Navy in Hong Kong since 1841": Maritime Books, Liskeard, Cornwall, undated.
- Howell, Raymond: "The Royal Navy and the Slave Trade": St Martins Press, New York, 1987.
- Lloyd, Christopher: "The Navy and the Slave Trade: the suppression of the African Slave Trade in the Nineteenth century": Longmans, Green and Co, 1949.
- Melson, Commodore P.J., (ed.): "White ensign - red dragon": Edinburgh Financial Publishing, Hong Kong, 1997.
- Ward, W.E.F.: "The Royal Navy and the Slavers: the suppression of the Atlantic Slave Trade": George Allen and Unwin Ltd, 1969.
- Webb, William: "Coastguard: The Official History of HM Coastguard": Her Majesty's Stationary Office, 1976.
- Brown, David K.: "Before the Ironclad: development of ship design, propulsion and armamarent in the Royal Navy, 1815-60": Conway Maritime Press, 1990.
- Brown, David K.: "Paddle Warships: the earliest steam powered fighting ships, 1815-1850": Conway Maritime Press, 1993.
- Brown, David K.: "Warrior to Dreadnaught; warship development 1860-1905": Chatham Pubishing, 1997 .
- Colledge, J.J.: "Ships of the Royal Navy; the complete record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy from the Fifteenth Century to the Present": Naval Institute Press, 1987.
- Gardiner, Robert (ed.): "Steam, Steel and Shellfire: the steam warship 1815-1905": Conway Maritime Press, 1992.
- Gardner, Robert (ed.): "Conway's All the Worlds Fighting Ships 1860-1905": Conway Maritime Press, 1979.
- Lambert, Andrew: "Battleships in Transition: the creation of the steam battlefleet 1815-1860": Conway Maritime Press, 1984.
- Lambert, Andrew: "The Last Sailing Battlefleet: maintaining naval mastery 1815-1850": Conway Maritime Press, 1991.
- Lyon, David: "The Sailing Navy List": Conway Maritime Press, 1993.
- Lyon, David and Winfield, Rif: "The Steam and Sailing Navy List": Chatham Pubishing, 2004.
- Osbon, George A.: "The Crimean Gunboats": Mariner's Mirror, 51, 103-115 & 211-220, 1965.
- Winfield, R.: "British Warships in the Age of Sail, 1817-1863": Seaforth Punlishing, 2014.
- Winfield. R.: "British Waarships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817": Seaforth Publishers, 2005.
- Dictionary of National Biography: Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1998.
- Dictionary of South African biography: Human Sciences Research Council, Pretoria, 1972 - 1987.
- Dyke, K.: "John Beecroft, 1790-1854": Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria, volume 1, 5-14 (1956).
- Greenhill, B and Giffard, A.: "Steam, Politics and Patronage: the transformation of the Royal navy 1815-54": Conway Maritime Press, 1994.
- Heney, H.M.E.: "In a dark glass; the story of Paul Edmund Strzelecki": Angus and Robertson, Sidney, 1961.
- Hunter, Sir William Wilson: "Life of the Earl of Mayo, fourth Viceroy of India": London, 1873.
- Kaluski, Marian: "Sir Paul E. Strzelecki; a Polish Count's explorations in 19th century Australia": A E Press, Melbourne, 1985.
- Levere, T.H.: "Edward Sabine (1788-1883)": in Arctic, volume 38, 146-147 (1985).
- Levien, M. (ed.): "The Cree Journals; The Voyages of Edward H. Cree, Surgeon, R.N., as related in his private Journals, 1837-1856": Webb and Bower, London, 1981.
- Martineau, John: "The life and correspondence of Bartle Frere": London, 1895 (two volumes).
- Metcalfe, G.E.: "Maclean of the Gold Coast; The life and times of George Maclean, 1801-1847": Oxford University Press, London, 1962.
- Morris, Helen: "Portrait of a chef; - the Life of Alexis Soyer, sometime Chef to the Reform Club": Oxford University Press, 1980.
- O'Byrne, William R.: "A Naval Biographical Dictionary": John Murray, 1849 (CD-ROM version from Archive Britain).
- Paszkowski, Lech: "Sir Paul Edmund de Strzelecki; reflections on his life": Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 1997.
- Prichard, Allan (ed.): "Vancover Island Letters of Edmund Hope Verney, 1862 - 1865": University of British Columbia Press, 1996.
- Rawson, Geoffrey: "The Count; a life of Paul Edmund Strzelecki, K.C.M.G., explorer and scientist": William Heinemann, London, 1953.
- Thompson, Jason: "Sir Gardner Wilkinson and his Circle": University of Texas Press, Austin, Texas, 1992.
- Verney, G.L.: "The Devil's Wind - the story of the Naval Brigate at Lucknow": Hutchinson, 1956.
- Waddams, S.M.: "Law, Politics and the Church of England; the career of Stephen Lushington 1782-1873": Cambridge Studies in English Legal History, 1992.
Medicine and the surgeon:
- Fleetwood, John F.: "The History of Medicine in Ireland": 2nd edition, Skellig Press, Dublin, 1983.
- Lloyd, C. and Coulter, J.L.S.: "Medicine and the Navy 1200-1900; volume IV - 1815-1900": E & S Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1963.
- Mitchell, David: "A 'Peculiar' Place; the Adelaide Hospital, Dublin 1838-1989": Blackwater Press, Dublin, undated.
British political history:
- Vaughan, W.E. (ed.): "A new history of Ireland": Oxford, 1989.
- Ajayi, J.F.A. and Crowder, Michael (eds.): "History of West Africa": Longman, London, 19??.
- Allen, W. and Thomson, T.R.T: "A narrative of the expedition to the river Niger, in 1841...": Richard Bentley, London, 1848.
- Beaver, Philip: "African memoranda: relative to an attempt to establish a British settlement on the island of Bulama...": C & R Baldwin, London, 1805 (and photographic reprint, 1992).
- Bennett, Norman Robert: "Arab versus European: diplomacy and war in nineteenth-century East Central Africa": Africana, New York, 1986.
- Coupland, R.: "Exploitation of East Africa 1856-1890": Faber and Faber, London, 1939.
- Hollett, David: "The conquest of the Niger by land and sea": P.M. Heaton, Abergavenny, 1995.
- M'William, James Ormiston: "Medical history of the Expedition to the Niger during the years 1841-2...": John Churchill, London, 1843; reissued on microfiche, Chadwyck-Healey Ltd, 1988. - 4 fiches.
- Oliver, Roland and Mathew, Gervase: "History of East Africa": Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1963.
- Cook, Chris and Keith, Brendan: "British historical facts 1830-1900": Macmillan Press, London, 1975.
- Cook, Chris and Stevenson, John: "The Longman handbook of modern British history 1714-1980": Longman, London, 1983.
- Henige, David P.: "Colonial Governors from the Fifteenth Century to the Present": University of Wisconsin Press, 1970.
- May, W.E., Carman, W.Y. and Tanner, John: "Badges and Insignia of the British Armed Services": Adam and Charles Black, London, 1974.
- Ockerby, Horace: "The Book of Dignities; containing lists of the official personages of the British Empire, civil, diplomatic, heraldic, judicial, ecclesiastical, municipal, naval and military": W.H. Allen and Co., London, 1890.
- Sainty, J.C.: "Admiralty officials, 1660-1870": Athlone Press, London, 1975.
- Stenton, Michael: "Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume I, 1832-1885": The Harvester Press, 1976 (and Volume II, 1886-1918, 1978).
- Wheatley, Henry B.: "London Past and Present: a dictionary of its history, associations, and traditions": 1891, reissued by Singing Tree Press, Detroit, 1968.